Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:50:35 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Barbara Scott <barbls@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partition sizes (was: Questions)

On Thursday, 22 July 1999 at 11:22:47 -0700, Barbara Scott wrote:
>> From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
>> To: Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
>> CC: Barbara Scott <barbls@hotmail.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>> Subject: Partition sizes (was: Questions)
>> Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:15:55 +0930

>> security
>>>
>>> Your / partition size is way, *WAY* too small, since it has to hold
>>> /tmp as well as /var information on it.
>>
>> Your partition size for / is fine.  You don't want /tmp or /var/tmp on
>> it, you should make symlinks into /usr for them.
>>
>>> You basically haven't got enough space to hold temporary files to do
>>> anything big. You could possible add a /var and/or /tmp partition
>>> on;
>>
>> You definitely don't want to do this.
>>
>>> or resize everything to one big / partition.
>>
>> That's an option.
>>
>> What was the original question?  I don't normally read messages with a
>> subject line like "Questions".
>
> Thanks for your response.  I have two problems with the FreeBSD
> installation:
>
> 1) Installation of a Belkin 3-button mouse (on COM2) does not work, whatever
> mouse protocol I choose in sysinstall.

Hmm.  I don't know this mouse.  What have you done with it?  I'd
expect that the Microsoft protocol would work.

> 2) Trying to install the 'sample desktop', I got a 'write failed, file
> system is full' message.  This occured after <ctrl-c> the desktop
> installation because I needed to install compat22 as I had no aout libs.  I
> then tried to install compat22 and got the 'write failed' message.  My
> original installation had been of the User distribution, with the GNOME
> desktop.  My hard disk size is 1.2, 500MB for Windows, the rest for UNIX
> (40MB for /, 180MB for swap and 500MB for /usr).
>
> Output from my machine:
>
> uname -a
> FreeBSD myname.my.domain 3.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE #0: Tue May 18
> 04:05:08 GMT 1999 jkh@cathair:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC i386
>
> df
> Filesystem        1K-Blocks   Used    Avail   Capacity   Mounted On
> /dev/wd0s2a       39647       20628   15848      57%         /
> /dev/wd0s2e       498703      364581  94228      79%         /usr
> procfs            4           4       0         100%         /proc
>
> du
> 282     ./GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/non-configurable
> 283     ./GNUstep/Library/AfterStep
> 284     ./GNUstep/Library
> 285     ./GNUstep
> 1       ./.gnome/accels
> 3       ./.gnome
> 1       ./.gnome-private
> 298     .

This is obviously not the situation after the installation failed.
You're pretty full anyway, so you may just not have enough space left
for GNOME.  Possibly it has something to do with what Jonathan was
referring to: if you don't have a /var file system, you need to create
a symlink to /usr/var.  From "The Complete FreeBSD":

  Where to put /var and /tmp
  __________________________

  Now  the installation is completed, but you may still have some housekeeping to
  do.  Did you include a /var file system on  your  disk?   In  the  example,  we
  didn't.  If  we  don't specify anything else, /var will end up on the root file
  system, which isn't enormous.  If we leave things like  that,  there's  a  very
  good  chance  that the root file system will fill up.  We solve this problem by
  creating a directory  /usr/var  and  a  symbolic  link  /var  which  points  to
  /usr/var:

  # mkdir /usr/var                        create a new directory
  # cd /var                               move to the old /var directory
  # tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf - ) copy its contents
  # cd /                                  get out of the directory
  # rm -rf /var                           and remove it
  # ln -s /usr/var /var                   now link to the new directory

  After performing these steps, you might see messages like:

  Jan  9 13:15:00 myname syslogd: /var/run/utmp: no such file or directory

  syslogd  is  the  System  Log daemon.  Don't worry about these messages.  If
  you're intending to restart the system soon,  just  wait  until  then  and  the
  messages will go away.  Otherwise you can restart syslogd:

  # ps waux | grep syslogd                look for the syslog daemon
  root 152 11.0  1.6   176  476   v0 D+     1:16M   0:00.15 grep syslogd
  root  58  0.0  1.1   184  332   ?? Ds     1:13    0:00:57 syslogd
  # kill -9 58                            stop the PID of syslogd
  # syslogd                               and start it again

  The  PID  of  the  syslogd is the second field on the line which ends with just
  syslogd.  The first line is the process which is looking for the text  syslogd.
  See  Chapter 11, Making friends with FreeBSD, page 224, for more information on
  stopping processes.

  Programs should not write large files to /tmp; if a program needs to  create  a
  large  temporary  file,  it  should  create it in /var/tmp.  Unfortunately, the
  location of the temporary files is not usually in  your  hands.   It  would  be
  tempting  to also replace /tmp with a symbolic link to /var/tmp, but the system
  handles /tmp and /var/tmp slightly differently: after a reboot, it removes  all
  files  from  /tmp,  but  it  leaves  the files in /var/tmp.  You can solve this
  problem by creating a directory /usr/tmp and creating a link to it.

  Perform the following steps in single-user mode (see Chapter 11, Making friends
  with  FreeBSD,  page  244, for a description of single user mode and how to get
  into it).

  # mkdir /usr/tmp                        create a new directory
  # rm -rf /tmp                           and remove the old /tmp
  # ln -s /usr/tmp /tmp                   now link to the new directory

Greg