Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 11:21:54 +0200
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM as system disk

Marius Bendiksen writes:
> >Slight problem, disk caching. If you are going to ping the drive every N
> >time units as a 'keep-alive', those blocks will very quickly get cached;
> >unless you devise some clever algorithm that will always ensure that you
> >get a block not in the cache (consider the cache could me a megabyte or
> >more in size, and this gets tricky)
>
> So, we'll need some function to flush the cache, or do uncached i/o...

	We're talking about the CD-ROM's own cache.  It's likely
	you can't disable it on cheapo IDE models (some IDE guru
	prove me wrong-- Søren ?), so you'll need to do like
	mentioned before: read random blocks, _and stop doing that
	while you're doing "legitimate" I/O_ (that means probably
	hacking the driver in some way, with a timer).

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-

               The Internet is busy.  Please try again later.