Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 1995 09:14:31 -0500
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   large filesystems/multiple disks

The main gain is just-in-time meeting of storage requirements on
huge databases that grow incrementally slow.  The next most

[snip]

is largely a useless application.  So while it is a cool feature,
it has limited practical utility.

Actually we dont use it nearly as offen to add just-in-time storage
requirements, but to have a single fileserver partition, or news partition or
whatever, which makes management of such dynamic data (before spanning
capabilities are filesystems always had wildly changing utilization
characteristics) a hell of a lot easier, and more sane.  Since everything we do
'round here is backed up nightly, it isnt a problem if a disk fails.  Actually,
on our most critical servers we also do mirroring of the data to ensure
realtime backups are available.  (Any plans for mirroring? :)

-Crh
--

    Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu

                     http://rs560.msu.edu/~henrich/