Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 1995 08:44:09 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au>
To:        leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com (Marty Leisner)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, jb@cimlogic.com.au
Subject:   Re: NetBSD/FreeBSD (pthreads)

Marty,

> Why would I want kernel level threads?

We try to make do with what's available. I _need_ threads for some
applications. I _wanted_ kernel level threads (and I probably still do), but we
can be successful with user-space threads. And that's what matters to me.

I'm not sure if you want answers to these...

> 1) does a debugger understand userlevel threads?

Not to the extent that you can debug individual threads without seeing the
other threads. But the debugger is still useful (and not completely useless!).

> 2) if I run a threaded application under strace, with kernel
> levels threads is may make some sense...with user level threads
> there's all this junk in the way...

True. It would be nice not to see the 'junk'.

> 3) Anyone have good hard numbers about the differences between user/kernel
> level threads on performance?

No. We don't have a user-space implementation that works on a system with
kernel threads. We would have just used the kernel threads (like we do under
OSF/1^H^H^H^HDigital UNIX). 8-).

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street