Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 2009 08:01:09 -0400
From:      Jules Gilbert <jules.stocks@gmail.com>
To:        Michael Grant <mgrant@grant.org>
Cc:        Andrew Sporner <asporner@sporner.com>, freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsdcluster.com/org

I'm just a user, not a developer and I have no use for the URL's.

But I would like to mention that no one makes a distribution intended
for a cluster machine.  All the distributions that I know about are
intended for fairly general purpose set of uses;  For example, no
machine operating within a cluster of machines should be loaded with
compiler tools;  Such tasks, such as compiling source code should
happen prior to loading code on a cluster.

Also, cluster-based machines usually need certain resources that, so
far as I know, are not pre-built into the current distributions.  And
though we tried, spending (over the course of a year,) a couple of
months on the problem, we were never able to make cluster-it work on
FreeBSD.  Most of the code works just fine, but not the critical
task/job control features.

Cluster machines are intended for production, not development.  Lot's
of similar characterizations can be made, but no one, at least so far
as I know, makes a distribution, either for Linux or FreeBSD, that is
appropriate for cluster community service.