Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:32:13 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which CPUTYPE in make.conf?

Mike Clarke wrote:

> I have a AMD Athlon 4850e which is described as "Athlon 64 X2"
> Dual-Core" processor.
>
> /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf lists recognised CPU types, but which
> of athlon64, athlon-mp or athlon-xp is the most appropriate for this
> CPU? I've been using "athlon64" so far without any problems but I don't
> know if it's the most appropriate choice or if there's even any
> significant difference between them.

athlon64 is probably a good choice. I haven't looked at it in a while, and
there isn't much difference. IIRC the older athlon-xp included support for
3D Now and mmx while the athlon64 adds sse and/or sse2.

I think this matters more to third party ports software builds than it does
the system. I thought that large pieces of the kernel were designed to not
make much, if any, use the various SIMD extensions. Maybe this has changed
and I'm behind the times.

Your use of athlon64 seems reasonable to me. It is what I've been using. If
it can be done better I'm always on the look out for better.

-Mike