Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:18:46 -0700
From:      "Kerry Davis" <kedavis@uswest.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Install with DOS partition already in place

Can someone explain to me why the FreeBSD 4.1 install doesn't work properly
if I already have a DOS partition in place?

According to the readme.txt and the install.txt, keeping a small DOS
partition in place is actually RECOMMENDED for use in "emergencies."  And
yet, each time I've tried to install with the DOS partition still in place,
it doesn't work.  Specifically, once the install is completed - apparently
successfully, it says - my system won't boot again.  It goes through the
power-on, and then the floppy drive light comes on and STAYS on.  Forever.
Even changing the boot sequence in BIOS to "C: Only" doesn't change the
results.

I've tried the different boot-sector options, and none of those has any
effect either.  I'm never even shown an option of what to boot, when I
restart the system after installing.  It goes to the floppy drive, and STAYS
there.

When I remove the DOS partition and install, it works.  (Although it's
rather unstable until I compile a new kernel.  For some reason the basic
included kernel doesn't like my Gateway 486 system.)

I'm installing from an "official" BSDi CD-ROM that came from a recent
presentation/meeting by one of the BSDi honchos.  So I kinda have to assume
it's the best available, unless shown otherwise.

Thank you in advance for any help that may be available.