Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2006 06:28:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        Alastair Watts <awatts@pett.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gvinum behaviour on disk failure

--- Alastair Watts <awatts@pett.com.au> wrote:
> > I say, did u consider migrating to gmirror or graid3?
> > Or even graid5? ;-))
>
> I use gmirror as much as I can! I used gvinum this time though as the
> disks are slightly different.. ad0 is 38166MB while ad2 is 38204MB and
> as far as I know, drives need to be identical sizes for gmirror to work.
>
> Is there a way to use gmirror with these two drives?

Yes. Out of my theoretically modell, I have of FBSD in my brain there are at
least 2 possibilities:

1. use a partition/slice of the larger disk (bsdlabel... or fdisk...)
and
2. just use gmirror and hope that it build the minimum of both sizes (which it
does actually I think; so u do not have to hope very much...)...

> Yes... I noticed gvinum was very different to Greg's original vinum
> suite ;) But this seems to be a fundamental thing that's missing from
> gvinum - the ability to recover from a drive failure and to be able to
> service the request from a different plex.

Hmm... Does gmirror overcome these drawbacks?

-Arne