Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:43:24 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        Adam Smith <adam@internode.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make installworld problems with BETA4 through 6

--11Y7aswkeuHtSBEs

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 10:19:07AM +0930, Adam Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 09:31:26AM +0930, Adam Smith said:
> > Since about BETA4, I've been having installworld problems.
>=20
> And I seem to have found the reason.  I am not sure if this problem was d=
ue
> to an existing issue with my system or the new buildworld, but, I found
> that /usr/share/nls/en_US.US-ASCII was a symlink to 'C' in the same
> directory.
>=20
That's normal:

$ uname -srm         =20
FreeBSD 5.3-BETA6 i386
$ ls -l /usr/share/nls/en_US.US-ASCII
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1 Sep 27 20:59 /usr/share/nls/en_US.US-ASCII -> C

> There was no entry for 'C' and so I removed the symlink entirely.  I then
> went back to /usr/src and performed another "make installworld" and it
> installed successfully.
>=20
Hrm, that's odd.  The "distrib-dirs" target in src/src/Makefile which
is run as the first step of installworld should have taken care of
creating /usr/share/nls/C, at least I wasn't able to reproduce any
problem here.  The only way I could have made it break is to have
/usr/share/nls/C symlinked to some nonexistent filename.  But you say
there was no 'C' entry at all...

Anyway, a complete "installworld" output would help narrow this problem
down.  If not, there's nothing to discuss in this thread anymore.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov
ru@FreeBSD.org