Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:13:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Trevin Chow <tmchow@sfu.ca>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Performance tuning and adding RAM

Hi all,

Just looking through the FreeBSD handbook at the performance tuning
section and noticed some stuff I wanted to try out.  However, I don't want
to sacrifice the integrity of my server for a little bit of speed.

My server is: Celeron 300A, 64MB RAM, one 15GB HD, one 80GB HD.

1) How reliable is "soft updates"? Hand book states that disk writes are
delayed so if there's a crash then data loss can occur.  Just wondering
whether how "real" of a concern this is weighed versus the potential
benefits of soft updates? How much of a performance boost am I looking at
here?

2) I'm considering buying doubling (or tripling) the RAM in my server and
was wondering if there are any extra steps other than the actual hardware
install that I needed to do?