Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 18:56:23 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN Modems

As Wm Brian McCane wrote:

> Only 7.5kB/sec?  I am now very confused.  I get 6kB/s throughput
> from my 33.6 most of the time.  Of course I am usually transferring
> news/mail so they are highly compressible.  Do any of the plug-in
> cards do LZ compression, or anything similar?

You are comparing apples and oranges.  A 33.6 kbps modem can at best
transfer 4.2 KB/s raw data (a little less due to the required protocol
overhead).  The remainder is done by on-the-fly compression.  Use the
data rate when getting a .tar.gz file as a base for your comparisions.

ISDN itself doesn't provide for on-the-fly compression, so the raw
data rate is close to 8 KB/s.  The 7.5 KB/s is the common data rate
for IP traffic.

PPP provides for potential link-level compression.  One of the options
is ``BSD compression'' which should be close to the typical modem
compression ratios.

--
cheers, J"org