Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 2015 20:45:59 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting value out of "man getopts"

On 2015-08-03, Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I type "man getopts" I am presented with a useless list of
> "built-in commands".  At least it seems useless to me but that's
> probably because I am a dunce.

"See the built-in command description in the appropriate shell manual
page."
What's unclear about this?

> Questions:
> 1. Why does "man getopts" not help me with "getopts"?

Because getopts only exists as a shell built-in, not as a standalone
command.  Maybe you were thinking of getopt(1).

> 2. Where can I get help with "getopts" (syntax, usage, etc)?  I am
> using /bin/csh.

Further down, the "useless" builtin(1) man page says that getopts
is only a builtin in sh(1) and not available in csh(1).