Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:19:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adam C. Migus" <adam@migus.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        marcel@xcllnt.net
Subject:   Re: sys/conf/DEFAULT[S]

M. Warner Losh said:
> In message: <20031008193006.GD3007@dhcp01.pn.xcllnt.net>
>             Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> writes:
> : On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 03:07:22PM -0400, Adam C. Migus wrote:
> : >
> : > Apologies for the misunderstanding.  The offer to fix, or,
> perhaps
> : > in lieu of this thread, enhance /usr/sbin/config still stands if
> : > you'd like.  It might be fun to take the suck out of
> : > /usr/sbin/config if people think it's warrented.  :-)
> :
> : There's on old thread in the -current archives about dealing with
> : mips and variations of an architecture (in the same sense that
> pc98
> : is a variation of i386). It would be cool to have that nailed down
> : and have a config(8) that groks it. If you're working on config,
> : maybe you can solve that problem too? :-)
>
> i386 is very special in that it has so few variants (pc98, sequent
> and
> roadrunner are the only ones I know, and outside of japan, all are
> rare).  mips has boatloads, as does power pc, arm and sh[345].
> alpha,
> amd64, sparc, sparc64 are very regular beasts in comparison.
>
> Also, it is more than a config issue.  There will need to be some
> kernel source changes too.  About 1/4 of the pc98 ifdefs could go
> away
> if the MACHINE/MACHINE_ARCH split were done more correctly for i386.
>
> Warner

If someone wants to step up and coordinate efforts with me on this?
It sounds reasonable to address in parallel.  Is there anyone who'd
volunteer to work with me on the non-config end or at least provide
direction and expertise?  I don't mind being the coordinator so as
to minimize the person(s) time in dealing with the issue.

--
Adam - (http://people.migus.org/~amigus/)
Migus Dot Org - (http://www.migus.org/)