Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 2008 13:43:49 +0100
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail server DNS configuration questions

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 19:28:28 -0600
Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well, my clients at church are still having issues and after working
> with George, a respondant to my original questions, I think that
> most, if not all, of my problems are related to DNS and how we've got
> it improperly configured.
>
> First, a crude drawing of how our mail server exists in the world:
>
> 192.168.2.x/24           72.24.23.252      "lot's of networks"
> Private Network <--> CableOne <--> Internet
>
> Now, our mail server's IP is 192.168.2.23.  On the router, he (the
> person at whose house the mail server is) has IP forwarding setup so
> that mail get's sent to our FreeBSD machine.
> It doesn't take a rocket scientist, or a computer scientist, to
> figure out we've got DNS issues.  I'm thinking that I should setup a
> domain within the 192.168.2.0/24 network on this box.

This has little to do with DNS, and there's nothing obviously wrong. The
router has the routable IP address and is forwarding incoming port 25
tcp connections to the real mail server using NAT.

As far as the internet side is concerned your entire network has to
look like a single server, so the mailserver has to pretend to be
running on the router, and announce itself as mail.whitneybaptist.org.

You'll probably need to pass your outgoing mail through another mail
server to avoid its being rejected though.