Date:      Tue, 03 Nov 1998 12:46:44 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internet Explorer and UNIX

Drew Baxter wrote:

> Alright, first off, no I meant IE. IE is available for (as you pointed out)
> HP/UX and Solaris.  My question is *why* HP/UX and Solaris?  Why is it that

Because that's where they can make money?  Microsoft is looking to invade
the CORPORATE desktop, and this includes people with Sun and HP workstations
on their desk, and people with Sun and HP servers in the datacenter and an
X terminal on their desk.

> Netscapes Servers (I invite you to find me a version of Enterprise Server,
> Directory Server 3.5+, Messaging Server 3.5+, that'll work on FreeBSD) are
> only for Solaris, sometimes DEC Unix, and HP/UX.. I've seen some cases of
> Netscape only releasing something for DEC UNIX and/or Solaris, and everyone
> else is stuck a version back.

Usually, it's Solaris, then HP/UX, then DEC, IRIX, and AIX in any order,
because that's where the installed base is, and where the sales are going.

> Windows NT is easy to obtain at 300 or so bucks (workstation).  But if I'm
> getting Netscape Servers under Netscape Free Server Software program
> anyway, why not support Free Unixes?

Because Netscape can't make money there?  Obviously, they believe they can
make more money for their efforts on Solaris, HP/UX, and other "big iron"
than on "itty bitty boxes."  Another reason is probably the predominance
of Apache and Apache-based solutions at the low end; they have very little
incentive to compete in that arena.  Would you want to compete with something
that is entrenched, widely recognized to be a good solution, and FREE?

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                      +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                   wes@softweyr.com