Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 19:51:12 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        Doug@gorean.org (Doug)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: comconsole

[Cc trimmed]

> 	Hrrm... it works fine in /boot/loader.rc on -current, maybe it
> doesn't work in -stable. My apologies if so.

It does nothing.  Valid option letters are [acCdghrsv].

> > >   When I setup server box(without VGA console, 3.1-RELEASE),
> > > I added ``set console=comconsole'' to /boot/loader.rc.
> > > Also enable serial console getty in /etc/ttys
> > >
> > >   Which method is better for serial(com) console?
> >
> > If you are using a serial console, it is generally best to enable it
> > as soon as possible.
>
> 	Agreed, however there are two issues here. First, the man pages
> all say that /boot.config is deprecated.

All which man pages?

>                                          Also, what I'd *really* like to
> do is get a 'boot -P' in as early as possible, then still have the
> autoboot option in loader. As far as I can see, that's just not possible,
> although I'd love to be proven wrong.

The loader "boot" command means "boot immediately", as documented in
the help.  The "autoboot" command means "boot after a delay", as
documented in the help.  They're mutually exclusive, so you're right:
the way you want to do it is just not possible.

> > There is a lot of stuff that happens before
> > loader(8) gets control.  The flow is roughly as follows:
> >
> >     boot1
> >     btx
> >     boot2
> >     btxldr
> >     btx
> >     loader
>
> 	Wow.... where were you last week when I asked for a list like
> this. :-/  Could you add one more detail to this list, namely what config
> files get executed when in this schedule? It would be really helpful to
> me, and I'm sure others. I've read the man pages till I'm going loopy on
> them and it's sinking in very slowly, but not fully there yet.

    boot2:
        /boot.config

    loader:
        /boot/loader.rc
        /boot/defaults/loader.conf
        /boot/loader.conf
        /boot/loader.conf.local

    kernel:
        /boot/kernel.conf

> > To avoid missing potentially informative diagnostics, etc., the best
> > place to start the serial console is therefore in boot2, using one
> > of the options -D, -P, or -h, according to needs and preference.
>
> 	I'm assuming that by this you mean to put it in /boot.config?

Yes.

--
Robert Nordier