Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 02:20:12 -0500
From:      Seth Leigh <seth@pengar.com>
To:        adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: possible problem with SMP?

At 11:02 PM 2/15/2001 -0800, Arun Sharma wrote:
> > Additionally, with Solaris 8 there is an alternate threads library
> > (/usr/lib/lwp/libpthread.so.1) which is strictly 1:1.  Ie: bound threads
> > are all you get, and all scheduling and such is left to the kernel.
> >

>Since JDKs for pre Solaris 8 versions of Solaris exist, I assume that the
>JDK is not being linked against this lib.
>
>         -Arun

Actually, not that many people are using it yet as far as I know.  It's
there for people to experiment with, and for people to do actual
performance testing against.  As a purely bound thread implementation, the
code for this library is much simpler than the standard libthread.  I just
mentioned its existence for completeness.    ;-)

Actually, if you have Solaris 8 and some multi-threaded libraries, you may
well give the alternate threads library a whirl and just see how it
performs.  You can do this by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/lib/lwp/ and
you should run with the alternate threads lib.

Seth