Date:      Sun, 06 Aug 2000 21:26:05 +0100
From:      David Goddard <goddard@acm.org>
To:        kstewart@urx.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp and natd problems

Thanks for the really prompt reply - a handy site that I wasn't aware of.
Dan's dual homed example helped me to get NAT working OK with ppp, but I
found that my ipfw rules were still causing problems.  Specifically, the
rules to disallow RFC1918 nets killed connections from the internal network
(which is, oddly enough, RCF1918 ;)

I tried a couple of configurations to test this and found that the rule
that broke things was:

    [...]
    # Stop RFC1918 nets on the outside interface
    [...]
    $fwcmd add deny all from any to 10.0.0.0:255.0.0.0 via ${oif}
    [...]

I'm not sure why this is a problem - tcpdump still shows that private IP
addresses aren't passing through it, but I turned logging on for the
suspect rule and it reported the following:

Aug  6 21:15:35 dmg /kernel: ipfw: 1000 Deny ICMP:0.0 195.200.0.87 10.0.0.3
in via tun0

This all *seems* logical, after all the rule does say to deny stuff for
10.0.0.3 coming in from outside, but I don't get why we would want the
default rc.firewall rules to behave like this.  Surely we should just be
blocking any RFC1918 stuff if ppp tries to send it untranslated (i.e. if
nat isn't working)?

Or maybe I'm just missing something :-)

Thanks,

Dave