Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2019 17:03:11 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Jochen Neumeister <joneum@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org, "ports-secteam@freebsd.org" <ports-secteam@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PEAR packages potentially contain malicious code

Am 22.01.2019 um 07:09 schrieb Jochen Neumeister <joneum@FreeBSD.org>:
> On 21.01.19 21:23, Remko Lodder wrote:
>> Hi Stefan,
>>=20
>>> On 21 Jan 2019, at 21:18, Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> I=E2=80=99ve just learned that the repository for the PHP PEAR set =
of extensions had their distribution server compromised.
>>>=20
>>> https://twitter.com/pear/status/1086634503731404800
>>>=20
>>> I don=E2=80=99t really work with PHP much apart from installing =
packages of popular PHP web apps on my servers, so I can=E2=80=99t tell =
whether this code made it onto machines building from PEAR sources, or =
even into FreeBSD binary packages of PEAR extensions. Given the large =
user base for these packages, some advice to FreeBSD users might be well =
received.
>> Thank you for sending the headsup to the FreeBSD users.
>> I have CC=E2=80=99ed ports-secteam, they will handle with due care =
when more information is available and they can act upon something.
>> I have BCC=E2=80=99ed the maintainer for the PHP port(s), but I am =
not entirely sure whether he maintains all the pear ports as well.
>>=20
> I just took net/pear-Net_SMTP as an example and compared it with "make =
makesum" SHA256 and SIZE.
> The values are the same. So the packages are not compromised.
> But today I will start testing all PEAR ports for different values. =
This can unfortunately take time.
> If a port has different values, it would be good to mark it as BROKEN =
and if the project is on GitHub, to switch.

I think the issue is not whether the FreeBSD packages have been =
manipulated after they have been built, but have been built based on =
compromised sources downloaded from pear.php.net. I haven=E2=80=99t =
looked into the details of the port build processes with composer, but =
it appears to me that packages built in the last 6 months would =
(potentially) have downloaded sources from the compromised system.

Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811