Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 08:14:50 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Will IDE disks impact SCSI or system performance?

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 03:09:24PM +0200, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Our main internal server, FreeBSD 3.2b with five large SCSI disks,
> running vinum and softupdates etc... It fast, and we're happy. It runs
> both filesharing (mainly NFS) and applications.
>
> Now some guys here are interested in having a large archive with
> not-so-important data (read mp3 files...) and suggest a large IDE disk
> for almost no money at all.
>
> My question: will an IDE disk in a now SCSI-only system impact
> performance for the rest of the system?
>
> Thanks!
> Palle

Why not just add another SCSI disk?  They're almost as cheap as IDE these
days.

If you really want to do IDE, you can, but you might have fun with the
system trying to boot from it - which would be a pain in the ass.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)  Web: fathers.denninger.net
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.