Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 10:53:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Documenters <doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Linuxdoc

On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:

> >    I think this will be relatively painless to do at the DTD
> >    level and I already have some primitive cals table -> html
> >    conversion stuff for instant.  I could probably hack the
> >    cals -> LaTeX, but would definately need help with cals ->
> >    groff.
>
> I think the things you say later on make this a waste of effort.  If

How so?  If we ultimately end up with Docbook, formatting of
tables will already be done.

> >    important because the Handbook is over 350 pages and the
> >    prospect of converting it to another DTD is not something
> >    i'm looking forward to doing.  I think it ultimately will
> >    happen, but not this week.
>
> Does it all have to happen at once?

Hmm... Not necessairly, but incremental changes would have to be
applied horizontally across the whole document---while having
some sections written up in docbook and others in linuxdoc may be
possible, it would be orders of magnitude more difficult than
making changes all at once.  I think it would be most efficient
to carve out a chunk of time and grind it all through more or
less at once. I need to spend some more time studying the docbook
dtd.  I think instant could do most of the conversion, but I'm
not sure what the magnitude of the manual cleanup will be.  The
task of actually taking advantage of the docbook features will
take a long time but can be done on an "as time allows" schedule.

> I currently have my "how to add a
> second disk" half finished, and the prospect of finishing it
> completely with the current DTD scares me.  It would be nice to be
> able to mix the linuxdoc DTD and (for example) DocBook in the
> sources.  That would make transition much easier, too.

Mix and match is only possible if you hawe two well designed,
modular DTDs.  Unfortunately one of the DTDs in question doesn't
quite fit that model (and you can guess which one it is!)

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================