Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 21:06:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/15135: new port: devel/cervisia

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Will Andrews wrote:

>  I think, quite frankly, that it is time for people who wish to use KDE to start
>  using the new gcc (and I mean permanently).. 3.x's compiler is out of date. ;-)
>
>  However, such a solution can be adopted for the time being, or we can move
>  forward and add "USE_NEWGCC" to the kdelibs11 and qt142 ports (my kdevelop
>  port, I found, requires Qt 1.42 to be compiled using NEWGCC under -STABLE).
>
>  gcc 2.7.2.3 is rapidly becoming obsolete. Thankfully, we have gcc 2.95.2 in
>  -CURRENT before Jordan's "feature freeze". ;-)
>
>  Perhaps I should be testing all future KDE ports I make using both the old
>  version of KDE libraries and Qt 1.42, and their newgcc'd counterparts, to make
>  sure I stay in sync with the rapidly-becoming-obsolete kdelibs11/qt142 ports.
>  Currently, my -STABLE machine has newgcc'd of both.
>
>  Thanks for alerting me to cervisia's kdelibs/qt-newgcc requirement. Did I say
>  "obsolete" or "out of date" too many times here? :-)

I considered porting it a while ago but hesitated due to the
aforementioned problems.  I agree that kde should be using 2.95.2
throughout; however, as I stated a while back, a lot of people are not
gonna be happy with recompiling their libs to use use new applications.

And I still pose the question, is it okay to port an application
requiring the new gcc and marking as broken for < -current until the
qt/kde apps require the new gcc and/or mainstream release uses it.

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>  |  All the true gurus I've met never
System/Network Administrator,        |  claimed they were one, and always
Reality Check Information, Inc.      |  pointed to someone better.