Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:03:04 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 02:50:59PM +0100, Mark wrote:

> I was experimenting with BIND (8.3.3) on FreeBSD. I got everything pretty
> much set up properly. Then I came up with the idea to allow outside queries
> for my own domain names, but to disallow outsiders to use my name servers to
> resolve the world. So, I did this:
>
> zone "." {
>  type hint;
>  file "named.root";
>  allow-query { trusted; };
> };

What you want is:

    options {
        [...]
        allow-recursion {
            trusted;
        };
    };

which will default to denying recursion to anyone except your own
trusted machines, but still allow queries to any zone you're
authoritative for.

There's no point in putting much in the way of access control on the
'.' hint zone, but you should investigate the use of allow-query { };,
allow-transfer { }; or even allow-recursion { }; on a per-zone basis
for your other zones.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way