Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:36:42 +0100
From:      Cillian Sharkey <cillian@baker.ie>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: proposed change for /etc/periodic/* scripts

> This may not be a good idea. I often check daily reports to see if
> a disk has suddenly filled or had been gradually filling over a
> long period of time - you wouldn't be able to get this info if you
> print stuff selectively.

in the case of df, one could set whether you want full df status OR
just partial (ie ones over xx% or less that xxMB free) depending
on your preference :)

> For anyone who reads daily reports regurally it doesn't take long
> to get used to the usual look of a report of moderate length
> (<2screens?) and to notice if something is out of place. You don't
> have to read every single word (and if you need to come back to it
> all the info should be there).

Keeping records would be handy alright..but cutting out all
the "everything is ok" msgs would reduce reading time..having
an option for full report OR just the important results should satisfy
everyone..

Cillian