Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:17:56 +0000
From:      Worth Bishop <wbishop@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Network set up help...

I'm running FreeBSD 4.6. (Have been setting up for a while now...)

I'm running PPPoE through an 8-port hub to my ADSL modem. I connect to th=
e=20
Internet just fine.=20

     (Thanks to "Cheaper Broadband with FreeBSD on DSL" by Renaud Waldura=
,    =20
     http://www.daemonnews.org/200101/pppoe.html)

There are also several other boxes on this network, including Windows ME =
& 98=20
systems. The Windows boxes are visible to one another as peers in a=20
workgroup.

Have attempted to set up networking on the FreeBSD box using PPP - Pedant=
ic=20
PPP Primer (www.freeebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/ppp-primer/index.h=
tml)=20
which is "assumed to be relevant for FreeBSD 2.2+".=20

-  Have created and verified a hostname in my rc.conf file.=20
-  Have verified the ethernet connection is up and happy.
-  Have created /etc/hosts file with all nodes identified and IP addresse=
   assigned in the 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, ... series.
-  Have pinged localhost and confirmed it is working as it should.

When I ping my FreeBSD box, assigned 192.168.1.1 IP address in /etc/hosts=
, it=20
is identified by the system with the ISP-assigned dynamic IP address, ins=
tead=20
of 192.168.1.1 and all packets are lost.=20

The instructions in the Pedantic Primer are:  "If the IP address...is not=
=20
192.168.1.1...return to Section 2.4 adn review your entires in '/etc/host=
s'.=20
Have done this, and the entries are as instructed.

Can't see any other boxes on my network (have updated the Windows/hosts f=
iles=20
also for the local IP addresses).

What have I done wrong?

Thanks,