Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:16:44 +0100
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@innotts.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Runaway processes

Dear All,

I have run into a problem which started with a STABLE cvsup back
around mid-July. Previously well-behaved applications have started to
run away. This apparently occurs if a user kills their telnet session
without logging out. The processes consume large amounts of the
'System' CPU cycle & bring the load up to about 2.5.

Under ps or top they always appear in RUN mode. Mostly they are
killable with SIGTERM but sometimes need SIGKILL. Killing them (even
with SIGABRT) doesn't cause them to drop core that I can debug.

These are both locally written database applications and also
/bin/sh. We've been running the database applications more-or-less
unchanged for at least 5 years. Subsequent to this problem I
recompiled them all as ELF but this has made no difference.

I wonder if anybody else has seen this behaviour or can give me an
indication of any workarounds I might try.

TIA

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction Information Service
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team
Tel:  +44 (0)115 952 9478       Fax:  +44 (0)115 952 9421
work: robmel@nadt.org.uk
Pages: http://www.innotts.co.uk/nadt