Date:      Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:36:46 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Gerard Seibert <gerard-seibert@suscom.net>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Printing MAN pages

--p7qwJlK53pWzbayA

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 07:53:28PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> Gerard Seibert wrote:
> > I am trying to figure out how to print 'man' pages. If I try a simple
> > redirect, such as: "man foo > foo.txt" the new file is loaded with
> > control symbols, etc. that are not really printable. I want to save
> > the files if possible, and print them out at a later date. It that is
> > not possible, how would I go about printing them out in real time?
>=20
> 	man -t foo > foo.ps
>=20
> will generate Postscript output, which is a lot better for printing.

Highly useful to know, but shouldn't we update the man page for man(1)?

     -t          Use /usr/bin/groff -S -man to format the manual page, pass=
ing
                 the output to stdout.  The output from /usr/bin/groff -S -=
man
                 may need to be passed through some filter or another before
                 being printed.

This does not exactly spell 'output postscript' to me...

--Stijn

--=20
Coughlin's law: never tell tales about a woman no matter how far away she
is, she'll always hear you.
		-- Cocktail

--p7qwJlK53pWzbayA

--p7qwJlK53pWzbayA--