Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 00:58:25 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Lev A. Serebryakov" <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/39203: Unclear BREAK message in port net/samba

>Number:         39203
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Unclear BREAK message in port net/samba
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD freebsd.sereb.net 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #1: Sat Dec 8 13:48:40 MSK 2001 root@freebsd.sereb.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LEVMAIL i386
Ports collection: 13 Jun 2002

   net/samba port support ACLs only under FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT.
   But new dialog(1)-based configuration script allows to select ACLs
   feature on any system. If user selects ACLs on 4.x or other old
   system, port systyem (via make(1)) prints this message:

===>  samba-2.2.4_1 is marked as broken: Requires a recent FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT.

   And after that `make install' would not work at all.

   User, who doesn't know about how ACLs support is implemented, could not
   understand, WHY is samba broken on 4.x.

   I think, message should be replaced with somethin like this:

   ACL support requires a recent FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT

   or, even better, `scripts/configure.samba' should detect old system
   and add `ACL support' checkbox only on new ones.

   I thinke, both of this changes could be done.

>How-To-Repeat:

   Try to select ACL support on 4.x system

>Fix:

   I don't prepare any pathses, but fix of message is trivial and
   fix for script could be like this:

OSVERSION=`make -V OSVERSION`
if [ ${OSVERSION} -le 500018 ]; then
	ACL_PARAM="acl		\"With ACL support\" OFF"
else
	ACL_PARAM=""
fi

  And after this add ${ACL_PARAM} to dialog(1) command line.