Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 1995 16:17:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        freebsd@fgate.flevel.co.uk (freebsd)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, graham@flevel.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Duplicating whole disks

the FASTES way (if the TO drive is bigger than the FROM drive)
would be to use the SCSI COPY command using the
scsi(8) command
(asks one scsi device to read another..)
this would not even utilise the SCSI adapter, let alone the cpu

transfer would be somewhere in the range of the highest speed of
the slower device.

a more standard method (also assuming sizeof(TO) > sizeof(From))
would be
dd if=FROM of=TO bs=64k

e.g. dd if=/dev/rsd0 of=/dev/rsd1 (or rst0 to send to tape) bs=64k

to do it as a file based copy, I suggest
cd FROM; find . -xdev -depth -print|cpio -pdmuv TO