Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 12:00:56 -0500
From:      Andrew Partan <asp@partan.com>
To:        Marty Fouts <marty@dotcast.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Files not touched by 'make buildworld' -- does this list look right?

On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 04:58:15PM -0800, Marty Fouts wrote:
> I've got a system I use mainly as a gateway. I started with a 3.2
> distribution and have been keeping it up to date via cvsup and
> buildworld/installworld. After installing 4.2-stable this way, I had some
> time to kill after having cvsup-ed stable, and then building and installing
> world and kernel, per /usr/src/UPDATING, so I thought I'd do an audit of
> sorts to see what random bits were lying around undeleted.

I started with 4.1.1 full install and did the same (cvsup & rebuild
according to the handbook).  There are lots of files that were not
updated.

Some seem to be ports (like X & linux) - it would be real nice to
know exactly which ports are part of a full binary distribution.

Some seem to be that parts of the source tree use "install -C"  -
even though I don't have this set in my /etc/make.conf.

Some seem to be bugs - e.g.: the handbook's instructions on how to
rebuild /stand only builds & installs /stand/sysinstall and not
the rest of /stand.

Some (like kerberos and maybe the "compat" shared libraries) are
not set in /etc/defaults/make.conf.  It would be real nice to know
exactly what needs to be set in /etc/make.conf to remake the full
distribution.

How exactly do you rebuild the entire world via cvs & make?
	--asp@partan.com (Andrew Partan)