Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 1998 04:25:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jerry Blancher <flerll@kaschynna.com>
To:        "M. Monninger" <markem@primenet.com>
Cc:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Invalid netmask?

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, M. Monninger wrote:

> At 10:52 AM 4/4/98 -0800, Dan Busarow wrote:
> >On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, M. Monninger wrote:
> >> Question: Is a netmask of 255.255.255.255 valid?
> >
> >Perfectly valid.
> >
> >Send the usual netstat -in and netstat -rn output with the
> >255.255.255.255 netmask in place.
> >
> >Dan

With one provider that I go through, they told me to use netmask
255.255.254.0, the first time I tried to set up my server at this
provider(version 2.2.5-RELEASE), we fought for a week trying to get the
server to connect to the provider, untill I got upset at them telling me
what I was suppose to use, and used 255.255.255.0 (which they claimed
didn't even exist anymore) and I connected fine. Then set up second server
on them (version 2.2.6-RELEASE) and remembered the netmask thing and had
the os installed over the net, kernel re-built and rockin in under an
hour. Then I tried setting up a server(version 2.2.6) at anouther provider
and spent 3 day's listining to how the set-up should work, and basically
knowing how FBSD's error messages corrispond to actual problems, I finally
told them that they needed to give me the correct gateway number. They
apperently was giving me the gateway number of a different set-up. Mind
you, Window's NT and other OS's like Linux and stuff could use that
gateway (and they showed me to prove it), but FBSD is REAL picky about the
mubers that you give it. Particuarly I have found with the gateway's use
the first 3 numbers they give you as a IP number and use 1 as the forth
(ie. ?.?.?.1). Don't know if that is correct, but from all the set-up's
I've seen, that seems to be a safe starting point, that and 255.255.255.0
is a safe starting point for netmask.