Date:      Sat, 11 May 1996 12:12:35 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        amnuay@comnet.spu.ac.th
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CLISP installation on FreeBSD-486 machine

> 	After I untarred  "clisp.tgz", then I installed as follow :-
>
> 1) cc lisp.a -L. -lreadline -ltermcap -o lisp.run
>
> 	which gave me  "lisp.run"
>
> 2) lisp.run -M lispinit.mem
>
> 	this gave me an error as follow :-
>
> Cannot map memory to address 536870912 . errno = 9
> lisp.run: Not enough memory for Lisp.

> My machine uses "Conner Pheripherals 1275MB-CFS1275A" disk drive. Is this
> the problem that this CLISP cannot see more than 536,870,912 bytes ?

It's not disk space it's looking for, it's virtual memory (RAM +
swap).

I think the real problem however is that there's something peculiar
about the format of the lisp.run executable. On Unix, every binary
executable has some data at the start of the file which tells how the
operating system various things about it, including how much memory
it's going to need. My guess is that there's something not right here
and the operating system is being asked for 500MB for memory!

This sort of thing sometimes happens with Lisp interpreters - a very
minimal version is written in C, the installation program builds and
runs it, loads it with lots of powerful Lisp code and then dumps this
image to disk, which is then the interpreter executable (you've
probably seen this happen if you've built Emacs from scratch). The
problem is that it's very easy to get a bad executable if you're
porting it to a different system and don't get it right.

If it's any consolation, I had exactly the same problem when I tried
to install clisp, but I didn't have any time to look into it. There's
a clisp mailing list, which may be a better place to ask (extract from
comp.lang.lisp FAQ):-

 There is a mailing list for users of CLISP. It is the proper forum for
   questions about CLISP, installation problems, bug reports, application
   packages etc. For information about the list and how to subscribe,
   send mail to listserv@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de, with the two lines
          help
          information clisp-list
   in the message body.

Alternatively, there's a free LISP interpreter which is actually being
developed on FreeBSD, based on CMU Common Lisp:-

http://www.mv.com/users/pw/lisp/dl/CMUCL-FreeBSD.tar.gz