Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 12:09:13 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Andrew L. Neporada" <fbsdmail@sign.chg.ru>
To:        John <freebsd-root@i-zone.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inetd & security - some simple questions

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, John wrote:

> Hello list
>
> A couple of newbie questions:
>
> [FreeBSD 3.2]
>
> The machine in question is on a permanent connection. I do not want it
> to go down if at all possible. I am enabling certain services one by
> one.
>
> In order to re-read inetd.conf, is it appropriate to kill -1 (inetd
> process number)? Will it cause a reboot?

 Yes. Sending signal 1 (aka HUP) to daemon will usually cause it to reread
config files and will not cause a reboot ;-)

> Are there any security issues in enabling talkd?

 General rule: you should only run services, that you realy need.
 If this machine is your server, than I think it is better to disable it.

And it is also a good idea to enable inetd logging (inetd -l).