Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:42:32 -0700
From:      Woody Carey <carey@roguewave.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   cannot mount cd indicates bad ide cd drive - replace?

On my new (last night) FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE box
[PII-233x2, 128 Mb RAM, 4G IDE HD, IDE (ATAPI) CD]
I have been unable to 'mount /cdrom' as root.  Trying to
do so has resulted in the following error message:
cd9660: Input/Output error

This is the same cd drive I used to install (flawlessly) with.
Reading the mailing list archives, I see that the response from the
list to this error is to the effect of "You have a flaky cd drive".

So, does this mean I have to replace the drive?  Or is there a less
drastic solution?  I can post dmesg output if that would help.
TIA,

Woody