Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 12:20:27 nzst
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan.langille@dvl-software.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, Dan Langille <dan.langille@dvl-software.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lynx from /etc/crontab fails

Dan Nelson wrote:
>In the last episode (Jul 09), Dan Langille said:
>> I'm trying to execute a shell script from a cron job.  The script
>> runs fine when launched manually, but when launched from a cron job I
>> get the following:
>>
>> lynx: Can't access startfile http://www.yi.org/bin/dyndns.fcgi?ipaddr=
>>
>> Any ideas why lynx has this problem only under these circumstances?
>
>Try ktracing it?  Do you set any variables in your shell startup
>scripts that might affect lynx's behaviour?

I haven't tried ktracing it (first I've heard of ktracing).  Here is the script:

$ cat dns_update.sh
#!/bin/sh

user_id="something"
password="secret"

ip_addr=`netstat -rn | egrep ^0.0.0.0 | sed -e "s,.* ,,g" | \
        xargs /sbin/ifconfig | grep "inet.addr" | sed -e "s,.*addr:,," \
        -e "s, .*,,"`

now=`date`

lynx -source -auth=$user_id:$password \
        http://www.yi.org/bin/dyndns.fcgi?ipaddr=$ip_addr | \

So yes, some variables are set, but this shouldn't affect lynx would it?

>Also consider using fetch, which was designed to be used in
>non-interactive places like cron scripts.

I don't know how/if fetch can be used in this instance.
-
Dan Langille