Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 18:44:11 -0600
From:      Steve Price <steve@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Paul Murphy <pnmurphy@cogeco.ca>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, lioux@FreeBSD.ORG, portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNOME/KDE issue with disc1

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 07:27:45PM -0500, Paul Murphy wrote:

>> Maybe we need an exclude list also.  I know an underlaying issue is
>> keeping dependencies together since we don't handle dependencies across
>> CD's.  GNOME and KDE are two very popular desktops and thus their basic
>> bits certainly need to be on disc1.  But due to the dependency issue,
>> "lesser" related ports make the disc1 cut-off -- things like the 7.2MB
>> (*compressed*) GNOME user documentation (which can easily be found on a
>> website).
>>

>  Personally I would think disc1 should take a "lets get up and running"
> attitude, and contain a "simpler" desktop. KDE and GNOME are way too
> bloated for a _basic_ install.

That was along the lines of what I was thinking as well.  What
we really need is a "sysinstall" that could handle packages
across multiple discs.  In the meantime couldn't we do something
like put the must-haves on disc 1, put KDE on disc 3, and put
GNOME on disc 4.  The user still states their desire to setup
KDE or GNOME during install and then a "first (re)boot" script
would be run and ask for the appropriate disc to finish adding
the desktop.  In fact if we had a smart enough "first (re)boot"
script when the machine came up for the first time we could use
information like whether they were doing a net install or from
a disc to show them a list of all the packages from which they
can choose.  If they are doing a disc-based install we'd have to
prompt them to stick in the right disc but this would give us
greater flexibility on what bits go on which disc and we could
optimize the disc usage without having to put multiple copies
of gd, xpm, png, and a bunch of other ports on every disc just
to satisfy dependencies.

-steve