Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:53:15 +0300
From:      Edvard Fagerholm <efagerho@cc.hut.fi>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rpc.yppasswdd problems...

Hello!

I've got this strange problem (I'm running the following commands on the NIS master):

passwd -y -d domain.dom user
Changing NIS password for user on localhost in domain domain.dom.
New password: *****
Retype new password: *****
passwd: failed to change NIS password: RPC: Success

And I get this small and obscure error into my logs:

Oct 17 03:51:34 shadow rpc.yppasswdd[26628]: database access error: YP unknown error -1

I'm going to make a ktrace of this in case no one figures out a solution (ktrace hasn't been compiled to the current kernel). This seems to have something to do with a broken master.passwd.byname (it returns "database access error" after calling yp_get_record(domain,"master.passwd.byname")), but updating my NIS maps doesn't fail, so I don't think they are broken there shouldn't be any problems with permissions...

The funny thing is that everything worked fine until one more slave server was added to the NIS domain. Nothing else has been changed except that one line was added to ypservers. Actually NIS stopped working the night this was done, so this could be related to adding the server or not.

The domain uses blowfish passwords, and all the clients are either FreeBSD or OpenBSD based.

Any help, clues etc are appreciated...

p.s. please cc me, I'm not subscribing...

Thanks
Edvard Fagerholm