Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2013 22:01:14 -0600
From:      Douglas Beattie <beattidp@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Johan Henselmans <johan@netsense.nl>
Cc:        Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
Subject:   Re: pkg repository for ARM?

Speaking of a package repository =85

On Aug 15, 2013, at 8:21 PM, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>>=20
>> On a related note: is there a pkg repository where one can just get =
compiled packages for ARM?
>=20
> A few folks have partial ones but there's nothing official.

Well, that's what I'd like to see;  a set of directly-installable binary =
packages, based on release,
 with a couple variants based on hardware core/code capability.

I kept wondering where or how that was going to happen, now that ARM is =
in the main kernel,
and maybe eventually we'd come up with strategy and proposal for ease of =
use and maintenance,
moving forward.  Also, you know ARM 64-bit is ramping up, so there's =
what, maybe 3 or 4 variants
at most to start with.

Like, I wouldn't expect binaries built on BeagleBone Black to run on my =
Atmel ARM9 board.
But it would be nice to see a set of maintained, pre-built binaries with =
reasonable assurance
that any ARM system could do something like ( pkg_add -r openssl nginx ) =
and it would install
as expected, from a URL such as ...

  =
http://freebsd-arm-repository.net/pub/FreeBSD/ports/arm9/packages-10-stabl=
e/Latest/
  =
http://freebsd-arm-repository.net/pub/FreeBSD/ports/armv7/packages-10-stab=
le/Latest/
  =
http://freebsd-arm-repository.net/pub/FreeBSD/ports/arm64/packages-10-stab=
le/Latest/

(these are bogus, example only -- don't click)

So, the only other trick might be either native compilation (farm), or =
perhaps emulated ARM cores
using QEMU ( a la qemu-system-arm ) -- I used to install and run =
Debian-ARM that way.

With a 1U dual-socket ProLiant server and 16GB of RAM, I wonder just how =
many qemu-arm
could run in parallel, batching the package builds, with a common =
PKGDIR.

Ah, well, the underlying issue may be a streamlined automated means to =
build and publish
the packages for ARM. But, am I correct in my assumption that ports in =
particular really can't
be 'cross-compiled' effectively?

--
Douglas Beattie