Date:      Sat, 09 Aug 1997 02:43:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        (Satoshi Asami) <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, jdp@polstra.com, john@helium.vapornet.com
Subject:   Re: broked stable

Hi Satoshi Asami;  On 08-Aug-97 you wrote:
>  * nope, ya caught me.  I didnt make includes from the top level.  Works
>  * fine when I follow directions...
>
> That is not the problem.  "make includes" is NOT necessary any more,
> as long as you run "make world" (or "buildworld").  Either your source
> is not really up to date, or I'm a complete idiot.

Third possibility:  Something IS wrong.  I do not have this problem, but
please point to me (yes, again...) the flaw in my procedure:

My cvsup file:

*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default prefix=/Archives/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-CVS
*default release=cvs
*default host=sup.FreeBSD.org
*default hostbase=/home
*default delete
*default old
*default use-rel-suffix
*default compress

## Main Source Tree
src-all
src-eBones
src-secure
ports-all
doc-all
src-sys  release=smp prefix=/home/smp

My cvsup command line:

cd /usr/local/etc/cvsup
rm -rf sup
cvsup -L2 -z Sendero.cvsup

Then I do :

rm -rf /usr/src/2.2/src
rm -rf /usr/obj/usr
cd /usr/src/2.2
cvs checkout -rRELENG_2_2 src
cd ..
ln -s /usr/src/2.2/src/* .
cd /usr/src/2.2/src
make world > ../world.out 2>&1

It must be a flawed procedure because it works only 60% of the time.
Different days produce different errors (no joke).
Monday, it was an html file with the wrong format.  Turns out to be a 3.0
file
that somehow ended up in the 2.2 tree.

Today, the make depend part of make world blows up because the tty command
does not get built/installed in /usr/obj/usr/src.2.2/src/tmp/usr/bin.
Yes, I started the build, and then snuck it in.  It is still running but
seems
much better.

BTW, on normal days, I do not destroy the whole world.  I just run cvsup a
couple of times to make sure I am current, do cvs update -P -d and make
world.
The difference in reliability and predictability of the process is not very
visible to me.

Please help me learn how to do it correctly.

Simon