Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:55:41 -0500
From:      Chris Corayer <CCorayer@adetech.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Local CVS Repository, how to use ?

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:57:41 +0100
From: Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
Subject: Local CVS Repository, how to use ?
Hello,
I have the whole of the CVS repository now on disk.
All on it's own dedicated filesystem
/cvs
Errmm.. dumb question.
How do I know emulate a cvsup from it into my working
/usr .. tree(s) ? I want to update my -STABLE system
for example.

I guess I don't have to run the cvsupd to do this.
I looked but information I did not find.

Any tips, hints or RTFM's ?

Since this is the second time I've done stuff relating to questions on CVS
today, I'll post it.

A good FAQ would be the cvsup home page.

http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/faq.html

Here's the files I use.  cvs is the name of the system I run the local
mirror on and has an entry in /etc/hosts.  You could just as easily use the
IP address and/or 127.0.0.1 if you felt like it.  The good thing about this,
is that you can now just copy these files to your other machines and have
identical collections.

At the moment, the mirror syncs once every morning at 2:43, but that will
likely change to once every Monday morning so I can get all the machines
more or less identically set up over the course of a week.  If necessary I
can manually sync up with the official mirrors at any time by changing the
*default host entry.

Just run /usr/local/bin/cvsup /etc/cvsupfile

$cat /etc/cvsupfile

#*default  host=cvsup3.freebsd.org	( uncomment if you need an update
from a current mirror )
*default  host=cvs 			( change this to yours, I run a
local mirror named cvs )
*default  base=/usr
*default  prefix=/usr
*default  release=cvs
*default  tag=RELENG_4
*default  delete use-rel-suffix

*default tag=.
#src-all					( uncomment for source code
)
#ports-all					( This is for ALL of the
ports, but isn't needed )
ports-base					( You NEED this if you don't
use ports-all )
ports-devel
ports-lang
ports-net					( cvsup and others )
ports-security				( Has nmap and other cool stuff )
ports-shells				( bash and ksh as well as others )
ports-sysutils				( portupgrade and others )
doc-all

You can put the src-all entry above the *default tag-. and you will then
have the source for STABLE instead of CURRENT.

$cat /usr/sup/refuse

doc/de*
doc/es*
doc/fr*
doc/id*
doc/it*
doc/ja*
doc/nl*
doc/pt*
doc/ro*
doc/ru*
doc/sr*
doc/zh*
ports/chinese
ports/french
ports/german
ports/hebrew
ports/korean
ports/russian
ports/ukrainian
ports/vietnamese
src/sys/alpha
src/sys/arm
src/sys/powerpc
src/sys/sparc64
src/sys/pc98
www/de
www/es
www/ja
www/ru
www/zh

The refuse file is good for when using ports-all as I don't read any of
those languages.  Nor do I have Sparc or Arm hardware.

Thank You.

-Christopher Corayer

Information Services

ADE Technologies