Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:32:47 -0700
From:      "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>
To:        "Trevin Chow" <tmchow@sfu.ca>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Performance tuning and adding RAM

> Hi all,
>
> Just looking through the FreeBSD handbook at the performance tuning
> section and noticed some stuff I wanted to try out.  However, I don't want
> to sacrifice the integrity of my server for a little bit of speed.
>
> My server is: Celeron 300A, 64MB RAM, one 15GB HD, one 80GB HD.
>
> 1) How reliable is "soft updates"? Hand book states that disk writes are
> delayed so if there's a crash then data loss can occur.  Just wondering
> whether how "real" of a concern this is weighed versus the potential
> benefits of soft updates? How much of a performance boost am I looking at
> here?

Run your system for a while with softupdates off in a production mode
environment. If it is fairly stable and you don't have any crashes, but turn
on softupdates. With softupdates on, I would definitely recommend having the
system on a UPS.

> 2) I'm considering buying doubling (or tripling) the RAM in my server and
> was wondering if there are any extra steps other than the actual hardware
> install that I needed to do?

None. Just plug in the extra memory and boot the system. The system BIOS may
complain after the first powerup to let you know that something changed in
the system, configuration.

Kory