Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 17:25:29 -0500
From:      Ray <bornhr75@vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Panic on boot..

  Hello,

    I have installed the 2.2.2 RELEASE of FreeBSD on my system. I have
also installed the  'os-bs' boot manager to the system.
    My problem is this-- I have 2 IDE connections, a primary and a
secondary. On my primary I have a new 4G Western Digital drive with 2
primary DOS partitions running in Master mode, and I have an EIDE CD-Rom
as the slave on that cabel. On the Secondary connector I have my old
1.6G drive split in the middle with the the front 1/2 as my BSD
partition, and the second 1/2 as DOS.
    Here is my problem.. I have successfully installed my components
(BSD) to the wd2 disk (secondary connection), on s1 (wd2s1) and the boot
manager can get me to the kernel on that partition (I get a boot prompt,
and probe all the selected devices) but at the end the system tries to
change root device to wd1a (slave cd) and gives a panic: cannot mount
root error.
     From the install floppy I can't seem to get to the /etc/fstabs
file, and the install utility seemingly didn't record the root directory
properly (but as it was installed, it knows it's there).
     Short of putting the 1.6 as a slave on the primary (so it becomes
wd1a) and the CD-Rom as master on it's own cable, how can I get the
system to mount the root on wd2s1?

   Thanks in advance for your help,

     Savant (Ray)

bornhr75@vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu