Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 00:37:22 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        jasonla@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Triple booting -- HELP

Jason La wrote:

> I have a question about triple booting with win98, win2k,
> and freebsd.
>
> My relevant hardware specs:
> Athlon 1GHz
> Asus A7V motherboard w/ onboard Promise ATA/100 controllers
> 40 GB Quantum ATA/100 HD
>
> I have the 40GB HD setup like this:
> first: primary/5GB(win98/fat32)
> second: primary/2BG (for BSD/unformatted)
> third: logical/win2k(6GB/ntfs5)
> fourth:logical/storage(whatever is left/ntfs)

I have two systems setup like this. I also use the NTLDR to boot everything,

> When I try to install FreeBSD, it says that it can't
> install the "/" filesystem in the partition that I made. I
> know that there is something about hoe far into the hard
> drive an OS can be installed, I just don't remember.

The magic limit is 8.4GB and you are under that. It is something else that
you did. The FreeBSD slice has to be created by fdisk and the easiest is the
setup in sysinstall. After you create the partitions in the slice, you have
to write them but that is automatically done for you.

Look at http://people.freebsd.org/~rpratt/43/index.html

Kent

> Can anyone help?
>
> =====