Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:14:58 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        daniel quinn <freebsd@danielquinn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building a package without installing it

--------------enigE530FFFFE784BA77FB193372

daniel quinn wrote:
> is this even possible?  a number of google results have informed me that it
> isn't, but i'm hoping there's a hack or a work around.  essentially, i want
> to build the packages on one box, copy them to many boxes and run package_add
> there.

Correct.  This is something that comes up every so often on the lists,
in a "wouldn't it be nice if..." sort of way.  Unfortunately, to get the
ports tree from working the way it does now changed into doing things in
a way that would make what you want possible is a major feat of
engineering.  There have been some PRs proposing changes that would
facilitate such a change, but those patches haven't been applied -- eg.

     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/28155

You can see why it hasn't been applied by reading the follow-ups in that
PR.  Too much stuff in the ports tree would break.

The canonical answer to this problem is to set up a jail(8) environment
specifically for building ports in -- which is essentially the way the
FreeBSD package building cluster works.

A somewhat less popular answer would be to look at NetBSD's pkgsrc
system or whatever the OpenBSD packaging system is called -- either of
which can be ported to FreeBSD relatively easily, and which I think have
the capability to create their own style of packages without installing
them first.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                       School Rd