Date:      Mon, 07 Jul 1997 15:28:41 +1000
From:      Andrew Hicks <Andrew.Hicks@jcu.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RPC: Port Mapper Failure & NIS

To any one who has the time to answer(and knows the answer;))

We are running a number of FreeBSD boxes in the department for which I work.

We are having a number of problems.

In themselves the machines run most services properly. However we have been
trying to get NIS to work with the Main Campus OSF boxes. We think that we
have set the proper flags to let the machines be NIS clients but ...

Problem 1.
we can do an id xxxxx from the campus machines (and get the proper
information) but then we can't log that person in.

Any ideas

Problem 2. (perhaps connected to P1)
we keep getting a
" clnttcp_create: RPC: Port Mapper Failure - RPC: Timed out message."
this occurs three times on reboot
first just after ifconfig 1o0
second/third after "add net 224.0.0.0 gateway XXX.XX.XX.XX"

Problem 3.
There are a number of utilities and servers which need libc.so.3.0 (i
imagine that there have been numerous requests about this already but from
whom, where, what etc.)

Problem 4.
NFS.

we can create a share OSF --> FreeBSD
OSF
/fstab
/yyy         -rw=FreeBSD     -root=0 OSF2 OSF3

FreeBSD
/exports
OSF:/yyy        /yyy         nfs     rw,-r=1024 0 0

but only occasionally a FreeBSD --> FreeBSD share.

It will work on one directory but then not on another.
Are there any special directory permissions needed, NIS to work,???

TIA

Andrew
     \\|//
     (o o)
+oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------------------------------------+
|            Andrew Hicks Snr. Tech. Officer         |
| School of Languages, Literature and Communication  |
|              Andrew.Hicks@jcu.edu.au               |
|                 kilroy@jcu.edu.au                  |
|     http://sacwww.jcu.edu.au/techstaff/mlabh/      |
|      Voice:+61 77 814086   Fax:+61 77 252373       |
| My thoughts are mine alone, and do not necessarily |
|   reflect the thoughts of those for whom I work.   |
|                                            <INRX>< |