Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 1996 22:57:53 +0000
From:      "Lanny Baron" <lannyb@cybertouch.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   getting BSD from home over the NET

   Hello,

 I have downloaded and used, rawrite.exe and boot.flp from cdrom.com
under FreeBSD, packages, floppies

 The problem I am  encountering is that when it comes to the part
about the PPP dialer, nothing happens, the modem doesn't work. I
even went downtown here in Toronto, Canada to where my servers are
and tried to get your programs to work on a server we have ready for
BSD.  I am (downtown) connected to the Internet  via Ethernet, but
because our system is Windows NT, we had the sever I now intend to
use for BSD removed from the domain. That probably is why I could
not get your program to connect to the net, at least via Ethernet.
Maybe you know a way in which I can get this to work from both home
(via ppp connection) and from our servers downtown.

  Our company is called CyberTouch Communicatations Inc, we are Full
Internet Service Providers located as stated up above in Toronto,
Canada. It is my understanding that FreeBSD is made for use by
Internet Service Providers. I have had many people who wanted to join
our service but wouldn't because I couldn't provide them with a shell
account.

 I am the general manager and unfortunately, lack the intense
knowledge one should know to run a business like this. I hope to have
FreeBSD up (I ordered the CDROMS from Walnut Creek anyway) and
running and hope to be able to implement this as our full operating
system.

  If someone who reads this can help me out, I will be most oblidged
to him/her. It must sound dumb, but I can't figure out what I am
missing to get your program to ask for a telephone number in order to
dial out, instead when I hit the "f3" key and type "term" and then
"dial" the message I get is "login o.k" and the rest, as if I was
connected to our servers downtown. Meanwhile the modem hasn't dialed
anywhere and I can't continue.

  Hope to get a reply,,
thanks for reading this and if I can get it going and working well,
I would not object to being mirror for you as we are connected by
ethernet to a T-3 upstairs

Again, thanks for your help and understanding from a non-computer
educated person.

Lanny Baron
General Manager
CyberTouch Communications Inc.