Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 22:25:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.0 SMP status.

I've got a Intel-motherboard-based SMP box I'm going to be using as a
fairly heavily loaded mail server.  I've currently got 4-Stable on it, but
for various reasons I need to blow the installation away and start over.

I'm currently wavering between putting 4.x or 5.x on it.  I'd like to put
5.x on it since I will have some time (month or so) to stabilize it before
it really goes into production.  On the other hand, I'm seeing notes in
various that indicate that the SMP subsystem might not be nearly stable
enough for anything even resembling production work.

So I guess my question really is something along the lines of "What is the
consensus on the stablility of 5.x in an SMP environment?" or "Other than
the newness and lack of real world experience with 5.x is there any other
compelling reasons why I shouldn't be putting 5.x on this box?"

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE