Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 2008 01:10:01 -0300
From:      Agus <agus.262@gmail.com>
To:        "David Robillard" <david.robillard@gmail.com>
Cc:        Ruben de Groot <mail25@bzerk.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Valerio Daelli <valerio.daelli@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Vsftpd rotate logs with newsyslog...

2008/6/19 David Robillard <david.robillard@gmail.com>:

> > Well yes, this is precisely the reason why we use a SIGHUP (equivalent to
> > "apachectl restart") instead of a SIGUSR1 (apachectl graceful). We don't
> > really care about a few broken client connections since the logs are
> rotated
> > at a quiet time.
> >
> > Of course, YMMV.
>
> Yes, of course :)
>
> > regards,
> > Ruben
>
> Cheers,
>
> DA+
> --
> David Robillard
> UNIX systems administrator & Oracle DBA
> CISSP, RHCE & Sun Certified Security Administrator
> Montreal: +1 514 966 0122

Thank u all very much guys....i will see if i do a graceful or simply a
restart cause i dont think the apache will be getting too many connections
all the time....but that clarifications was quite good David....and thank u
for the example....that is always the best way to understand things...much
appreciated...

Will try both....just a question about compression...What i understood from
your mail is that as apache takes some time to let his children close all
connections i shouldn zip those logs cause, newsyslog wont wait till apache
finishes and probably will xip logs that are still being access by the
children? if htat is the case using a HUP will close all and allow me to use
compresion?

Cheers,
Agustin