Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 2004 19:20:21 -0700
From:      Roop Nanuwa <roop.nanuwa@gmail.com>
To:        Konstantin 'Kosta' Welke <damaker@fillibach.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: General issues with the ports system

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:35:28 +0200, Konstantin 'Kosta' Welke
<damaker@fillibach.de> wrote:
> Hello!
> b) Is it possible to use & install ports without having a ports tree?
> I know that it's not, but other than the directory for the single port
> (multimedia/mplayer for example) and the distfile directory, is there
> anything more that is needed by it? Could one, with some not too major
> changes, get rid of the big big ports tree?

You will need the ports-base in addition to the directory for the port
itself to compile any ports yourself. Also, realize that most ports
have dependencies that will need to be satisfied if you wish to
compile them. Those will also have to be present.

If you want to trim down the unnecessary parts of the ports
tree, look into using the 'refuse' file in the cvsup man page. I'd
say that's a much better way to go about it.

--roop