Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:56:06 -0500
From:      Eric Crist <mnslinky@gmail.com>
To:        Sean Murphy <smurphy@calarts.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Best Open Source software to backup Cisco switches and routers

On Apr 18, 2007, at 1:18 PMApr 18, 2007, Sean Murphy wrote:

> I am looking to automate the process of backing up my Cisco routers
> and switches config files and have come across RANCID.  Is this
> what I should use on my FreeBSD server or is there something better?
>
> Thanks

I don't know anything about RANCID, but I recently used expect and a
shell-script wrapper to do the backups on 3 Cisco routers.  I just
setup a TFTP server on our backup machine and punched the correct
holes in the firewall.  There's a command you can run on the router
itself to send the config off to a remote system.

Additionally, the 'backup' is simply the same output you get when you
run a show run command from the router's enable mode.

HTH

Eric Crist